Charcot Foot Surgery
Charcot foot surgery can be performed by a podiatrist.
Charcot foot is a disease that has many causes and typically involves the joints of the foot and ankle. Podiatrist in St. Louis can perform charcot foot surgery for charcot foot. A podiatric surgeon must be at least 3 years surgical trained and have experience in diabetic foot surgery. Dr. Dennis Timko is a podiatrist in St. Louis Missouri that can help.
- diabetic neuropathy
- syphilis (tabes dorsalis)
- meningomyelocele / spina bifida
- nerve injury: spinal cord or peripheral nerves
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome
- unilateral swelling
- red Skin Discoloration
- warm temperature to affected extremity
- Aredia IV given in hospital infused over 4-6 hours to slow down disease.
- Non-Weightbearing for up to 2 months.
- After acute phase of disease is over patient may require surgical correction with external fixation to realign joints together. External fixation may allow patient to walk sooner.
- If charcot foot surgery is needed recovery time may take up to 1-2 years.